May 08

Rynek Glowny Krakow Grand Square (Piata Principala din Cracovia)

The Rynek Glowny Grand Square in Krakow is one of the most beautiful medieval squares located in Europe, and one of the largest as well, as it spreads over 10 acres.

It is inconceivable to pass through Poland and not to make a detour in order to visit this one of a kind square which is composed of buildings characteristic for the Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque styles. At the center of the square, tourists will find the Sukiennice (the Cloth Hall), which dates from the 14th century but which has been restored during the Renaissance. On top of this, there is an attic which is adorned with carved masks.


One of the main attractions, located in the north-eastern part of the square, is the St. Mary Church which has a beautifully carved Great Altar. This edifice, erected in 1222 and rebuilt in 1355, is a representation of the Gothic architectural style.

The story that revolves around this church says that in the 13th century a man tried to alert the city about the Tatar invasion by blowing a horn, but that he was deadly wounded in the neck by an arrow. The church is said to “retell” the story of this hero by means of its towers which play a specific tune every hour (called “hejnal”). The horn used to alert the population is still preserved in the left tower of the church and bears the name “Kosciol Mariacki”.

The church is opened for visitation only between May and August.


Other important tourist attractions are the Town Hall Tower, the Gothic edifice dating from the 13th century, and the St. Adalbert Church which still preserves some of its original parts from the 11th century.

Some of edifices have changed their attributions, in as much as nowadays, the cellars of medieval buildings have been transformed into pubs and restaurants, while others house the Archeological Museum and the Maszkaron Theater.


Another place worth visiting is the Wierzynek Restaurant. Those who are unacquainted with the legend that revolves around the restaurant should know that in 1364, a 21-day feast was organized here for the monarchs of Europe with the purpose of reaching an agreement about some political matters.

The Grand Square consists of 47 buildings, each more impressive than the next. Upon admiring these edifices it is impossible not to think with regret about the other constructions which had been demolished in the 19th century. Probably the most relevant one of the edifices which had been destroyed is the Town Hall built in the 14th century in the Gothic style.


Since its formation, the purpose of the square was commercial in nature, and even after the rebuilding process which took place after the Mongol invasion left the square in ruin (in 1257), commerce was still the number one function of the Grand Town Square.

But besides having been an important trading center, the Rynek Glowny, also bears an important historical role. This is the site where public executions were being held and where royal proceedings were organized.


The Grand Square won in 2005 the title of the World’s Best Square, awarded by the organization Project for Public Spaces. The reason for which it received this award is that a multitude of events are organized here, such as concerts, festivals, marches. For example, the Square hosted the largest party ever to be organized on New Year’s Eve on the territory of Poland.

May 04

Wilanow Palace (Palatul Wilanow)

The Wilanow Palace is a Polish edifice erected for King Jan Sobieski which comprises 60 rooms, the majority of them being filled with objects connected to the royal family, such as portraits, valuable artifacts and jewelry.

The estate, which contains a beautiful garden and the Wilanow Palace, carries a great importance for the Polish population. The edifice dates from the 17th century and it bear the mark of the architect August Locci. All the decorations are heavy in symbolism, representing various motifs from the ancient Greece and Rome.


The interior decoration is representative for three different epochs: the oldest rooms (the royal suits which have a Baroque architecture) are located in the central part of the palace, the southern wing is decorated in the architectural style specific for the 18th century, whereas the northern wing bears the stamp of the 19th century – when the palace was property of the Potocki family.


The architect received order from the king to construct an edifice with only a ground floor which would respect the general plan usually followed by the Polish buildings. But the original plan was changed due to the military successes obtained and due to the fact that the royal family gained more importance. Thus the edifice was expanded so as to do justice both to the royalty and to the Republic of Poland.


Massive transformations to the edifice took place between 1677 and 1696. The final result was a combination of Polish, Italian and French architectural elements. The edifice was inherited by the king’s sons, after Sobieski passed away. Other modifications to the edifice were conducted in 1730, under king August II the Strong, who mainly focused on the interior decoration.

Stanislaw Kostka Potocki, who became the owner of the Wilanow Palace in the 19th century, made a lot of efforts to enhance the value of the palace.  It was because of him that, in 1805, the palace housed one of the first museums located in the entire state.


The museum is structured in two parts: the downstairs and the first floor. Probably the most relevant area in the museum is the Gallery of Polish Portraits, where tourists can admire the paintings which illustrate the Polish monarchs, important figures in the history of the state (such as people who have played significant roles in national uprisings), or distinguished artists. The authors of these works of art are either of Polish or of foreign origin.


The next part of the tour consists of visiting the royal suits. These were divided based on the purpose for which they were being used, such as apartments for parties, for receiving guests and friends, for official business, for sleep or for listening to music.

A unique collection of coffin portraits which is found nowhere else on the European continent can be admire at the museum. These are actually realistic portraits taken of the deceased noblemen once they were placed in their coffins and represent a distinctive characteristic of the Baroque style, encountered solely in Poland.


The practice was that the portrait of the nobleman was painted on metal and the representation was placed on the coffin, facing the mourners, so that the person that passed away could have an overview of the extravagant funeral services held in his/her behalf.

In fact, the majority of these pieces of art were created while the noblemen were still alive. So the detailing is quite impressive, in as much as we are offered a complex image of the nobility that dwelt in Poland during the 17th century.


Another point of attraction within the palace is represented by the statue of King Jan Sobieski, which was initially located near the main entrance. The sculpture, which was created in 1693, was meant as a reminder of how the king defeated the Turks.

But the statue was moved in 1729 as a result of the modifications conducted to the Grand Vestibule and it ended up in close proximity to the southern tower.

The grandeur of the edifice is noticeable upon a first look. Tourists are impressed with the architectural and decorative elements, as well as with the lavishness conveyed on the Wilanow Palace.