Oct 04

The Pskovo-Pechersky Monastery (Manastirea Pskovo-Pechersky)

The Pskovo-Pechersky Monastery is the Russian Orthodox monastery which also goes by the name of the Holy Dormition Monastery. The Holy Dormition Monastery is situated in the western part of Pskov, a city located in close proximity of the Estonian border.

It is definitely not on your route, if you are on your way to visiting Moscow and Sankt Petersburg, but if you find yourself in this region, you should make some time to visit this beautiful monastery.

http://www.dreamstime.com

The edifice is considered to have been founded in the second half of the 15th century, in 1473, when St. Jonah had sanctified the monastery of the Dormition of the Holy Mother of God. But historically, the life of the monastery began several years in advance as a number of hermits who wanted to isolate themselves from the material word and all its temptations and who wanted to seek spiritual rebirth, had decided to live in the caves found in this place. In fact, the vestiges of some of the hermits are still located inside the caves and many decide to take this road in order to pay their respect and express their adoration to the holy remains of the saint.

The monastery had seen both times of happiness and sorrow, but after centuries had gone by and after the experiences it underwent, it is still standing and believers still give voice to their prayers in this place.

http://www.123rf.com

As time went by, the size, as well as the status of the monastery has increased. It was in the 16th century that the Monastery of the Holy Dormition had expanded extensively, becoming a monastic ensemble. Two churches and a bell tower were constructed and the entire complex was fortified by means of a stone wall which comprised several strongholds within its design. It was around this time that the friary increased in size, numbering as much as 200 members.

The importance of the monastery intensified and due to the flourishing period it traversed, the abbot in charge of the complex decided to begin recording all the events which were even remotely connected to the specific construction, but more importantly those of religious significance. The monastery also comprised a workshop designated to teaching the craft of icon-painting.

http://rolfgross.dreamhosters.com

After this glorious period, came a troublesome period in which the edifice was heavily damaged due to the constant attacks directed at it. These came from different sides (Poland and Lithuania), but the attack with the most devastating effects was carried out in 1581 by Stephan Batory, the Polish King of that time.

At present the monastic complex comprises 10 churches, but the number of brothers that are part of the friary has greatly diminished in comparison to the large community (200) that existed in the 16th century.

The friary goes on with its day undisturbed, the monks working in the field in order to sustain themselves. The workshop which was established such a long time ago is still functional and besides engaging themselves in icon-painting, the participants are also thought how to carefully tend to a damaged icon in order to restore its original appearance.

539 years have gone by since the monastery was erected. The world has changed extensively during this time, edifices have been constructed or have been transformed into ruins, but the monastery has preserved its position and now stands proudly as the stronghold of Russian Orthodoxy.

Jul 25

Novodevichy Convent (Manastirea Novodevichy)

The Novodevichy Convent is situated on the bank of Moscow River and consists both of a monastery and a cemetery.

The convent dates back from the 16th century (1524) when it was founded by Tsar Vasily III as a means to commemorate the Muscovite-Lithuanian War through which the Russians managed to capture the city of Smolensk from Lithuania – which was a major trading center at that time. The construction was meant to serve both as a religious site and as a fortification. This was obvious from the thickness of the walls as well as from the strategic location chosen to erect the edifice.

http://www.moscow-russia-insiders-guide.com

 

Due to the fact that it was constructed by the order of the Tsar, the convent occupied a higher position among the religious edifices and was designated mainly for noble women. In fact, it was oftentime used to imprison the women of royalty who would defy the tsar. Just to give an example of how disobedience was punished, it is worth mentioning that both the first wife and the half-sister of Tsar Peter the Great were confined here.

The original structure did not survive the passage of time, so the building that stands before the beholder dates from a later period, more exactly from the 1680s. This marks the year when the monastery was subjected to massive restoration work.

http://www.practicerussian.com

 

After the Russian Revolution of 1917 the convent was closed and in ’22 it was transformed into a museum. This turn of events was actually beneficial because it ensured the survival of the edifice in a period when Russia was traversed by warfare.

The convent was one again restored in the 1960s and even to this day it has maintained the status of museum which was given at the beginning of the 20th century. However, there are nuns dwelling here, thus maintaining the convent alive.

The monastic complex comprises several churches. The most relevant one is the Cathedral of the Virgin of Smolensk. This follows the architectural style of the Cathedral of Assumption, located in Kremlin, and consists of five colossal domes, an outstanding iconostasis which comprises 84 wooden piers, to which are added 16th and 17th century icons.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com

 

There is a legend according to which the cathedral was on the verge of being brought down in 1812, when Napoleon gave order to his soldiers to dynamite the edifice, but a courageous nun had prevented this from happening by extinguishing the fuse.

The Church of Assumption is located to the right of the aforementioned cathedral and the Church of St. Ambrose is located at the back. This later church is all painted in white and contains within its walls icons from the 18th century as well as an exhibition of clergy apparel.

http://www.fotocommunity.com

 

The Gate-Church of Trasfiguration is situated at the entrance of the convent and it is representative for the Moscow Baroque architectural design. The southern gate is ‘guarded’ by the Gate-Church of the Intercession, an edifice consisting of three cupolas and a red and white façade.

As it has been mentioned the complex is officially known as a museum, so exhibitions are bound to be found here. The items on display are paintings dating from Antiquity, ceramic and wooden objects, different types of needlework, as well as an impressive collection of gilded, silver or bejeweled books.

http://www.flickr.com

 

The adjacent cemetery is actually a highly appreciated tourist attraction. Probably this is due to the fact that it resembles a park. There are small chapels every now and then and large sculptures.

In its initial phase, the cemetery was used solely for feudal rulers and for the high figures of the church. As time went by, other important figures started using the cemetery as their burial place, such as intellectuals or traders. Each historical period has its representatives buried Novodevichy Cemetery. Overall, more than 27.000 persons (political leaders, well-renowned artists, actors, authors, etc.) have found their rest here.

Visiting hours:
The museum is opened Thursday to Tuesday from 10:00 until 17:00, while the Convent is opened each day from 10:00 until 18:00.