Timisoara is a beautiful city in Romania which has just been designated the European Capital of Culture for 2021. A visit here is a great opportunity to discover the hospitality of Romanian people, the recent history of this country and a city that has a rich cultural tradition. For starters, we suggest some of the most important sights of Timisoara, to get an idea of what you will find.
The House of the Atlants is a historic building located in the city center. Her name comes from Atlantis columns you see the facade. It was built in 1812 in neo-classical style by the merchant Toma Naum Makri, bound for building rent, with 40 rooms. After the owner’s death the house was inherited by his daughter, married to a Serb. Later the house was donated to the Serb community, then owned by the Serbian Church in 1966 and after the Romanian State ’89 became private property and was renovated. In umătorii years he had more inhabitants, and many owners who now fighting for the building. The courts lie thousands of pages and house athletes and two Turkish cannons buried at the entrance waiting for their verdict.
Merbl Palace situated on Victoria Square was built by architect Arnold Merbl. He was head of the firm Arnold Merbl Co., known outside the city. Victoria Square has created a building: Lloyd Palace.
The Roman Catholic Church Josefin neighborhood was built in 1774 in Baroque provincial. During the revolution of 1848 the church was badly damaged. During the renovation works the ball to cross the tower found a rusty box with two documents about the history of the tower. On the main altar is a beautiful icon-portrait of Virgin Mary, dating from the late eighteenth century. In her yard is the oldest stone statue of St. John of Nepomuk town carved in 1723.
Dauerbach in Victoria Square, was built between 1912-1913 by architect Laszlo Szekely. The building is known as the Palace after Palace restaurant and café, which were arranged even at the end of the building. In the northern part of the ground floor it has operated a pharmacy. Building facade is divided into five parts, one central three parts, taller, which has three gables on the roof shaped ogival braces. The two sides each have two pilasters and the upper level have a gable and a shorter roof.
Fabric Synagogue designed in Moorish style was built in place of a Mosaic synagogue. It was built by entrepreneur Josef Kremmer, by architect Lipot Baumhorn and inaugurated in 1889. It is a monumental building, ornate. I see five domes on the roof of which the center is equipped with eight rosettes. Inside the building is a beautiful organ built by the famous craftsman Wegestein Timisoara. Today the synagogue is in an advanced stage of decay.
Weiss Palace built in 1912 is the beginning of Republic Avenue. From here begins the promenade itself. The building was designed by Arnold company Merbl Co. and the front of László Székely. Weiss family had many popular characters in Punjab, they are doctors, industrialists, entrepreneurs and raising the rent apartment buildings was a lucrative business. Although sf building entrance is on the street. John gable to the main theater. The ground floor commercial spaces.
According to some theories the Roses Park was achieved through the contribution of women rich in the city that they brought their money abroad, many species of roses. In 1891, during the Universal Exposition attended by King Franz Josef, were installed here 10 wooden pavilions. The exposition park was realized by Wilhelm Mühle, and presented over 300 varieties of roses. Mühle was the owner of a horticultural garden with 17 solariums, and the roses he cultivated were renowned abroad.
In 1942 the park is known as the Queen Mary Rosary, but over the years has had many names.
During the Second World War, the Rosariumul was destroyed and was rebuilt in the period 1953-1965, when it reached over 1200 varieties of roses purchased in the country and abroad.
Today the area of one hectare there are only 600 species. The 10,000 roses are planted in eight groups, checkered diamond-shaped, bounded by fences of buxus. The Summer Theater in the park was built in the interwar period.
Photo source: Picture 1: expedia.co.uk; Picture 2: aubergesdejeunesse.com; Picture 3: huffingtonpost.com; Picture 4: expedia.co.uk; Picture 5: eventya.eu; Picture 6: ro.wikipedia.org; Picture 7: aesteticum.com